It is possible to pursue a claim for financial provision for a child under Schedule 1 of the Children Act. Such claims are different from the usual child maintenance claims which are dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service.

A claim for financial provision for a child can be made by a parent, a guardian or a special guardian of a child, or by any person named in a Child Arrangements Order as the person with whom the child is to live. A child, a person under the age of 18, may also apply.

Some of the orders which the Court can make are as follows:-

  • Child maintenance top up
  • ¬†School fees order to enable a child to meet all or some of the expenses incurred in connection with education or training
  • Capital lump sum order
  • Transfer of property order to enable the child to be accommodated

The Court can make one or more of the above orders.

At Parker Bullen all our Family Solicitors have experience in acting for cohabitees and former cohabitees in advising on all aspects of the law concerning cohabitation and property ownership when unmarried. We are Resolution Accredited Specialists who promote and encourage effective dispute resolution to conclude matters in a client and child focused way.

We offer a free no obligation initial consultation. Taking legal advice at an early stage can often avoid potential pitfalls and can enable you resolve matters sooner in a more satisfactory way.

Get in touch


Your Children Act Schedule 1 Claims Team

"My children are now able to live the life they deserve thanks to your help"