We have many years of experience in handling SIPP and SSAS pension property investments for clients. This is a complex area with specific regulatory and other requirements that make this type of legal work very specialised.
What is a SIPP and a SSAS?
A Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) is the name given to the type of UK government-approved personal pension scheme, which allows individuals to make their own investment decisions from a range of investments approved by HM Revenue and Customs.
A Small Self-Administered Scheme (SSAS) is a type of UK Occupational Pension Scheme. Schemes are trust-based and established individually, usually by directors of limited companies for directors and specified employees of the company.
Typically, numerous parties are involved in pension transactions. Keeping everyone informed as matters progress is key. We will liaise with professional pension trustees, private pension investors, independent financial advisors and lenders to keep the transaction moving and progressing.
How We Help
- We work with professional pension providers of all sizes, including some of the best-known providers in the UK. We are also designated panel solicitors for some SIPP and SSAS schemes. This means we are fully conversant with the requirements and regulations of pension providers and can therefore provide you with an efficient, tailored service to meet these needs.
- To speed up transactions we have already carefully created documentation that meets all of the pension trustee’s main requirements. This should avoid the need for further amendments down the line in a transaction, avoid delays, and also makes us cost efficient.
- We provide a proactive service and will be able to comment on the proposed terms of a transaction very early on and let you know whether the terms are compliant with the requirements of the SIPP or SSAS.
- To expedite transactions further, we will accept instructions from the pension investor and commence work whilst we await formal instructions from the professional pension trustees, provided that the investor signs our terms of business and agrees to be liable for fees in the event that the matter subsequently doesn’t proceed, or trustee instructions are not received.
- We can help you to structure your pension investment to meet pension regulations. A typical example is when a property contains a residential element which cannot be kept within the pension scheme.
- We can act on property investments located anywhere within England and Wales.
- Purchases of property into, and sales of property out of, pension funds.
- Transferring properties out of or into pension funds (in-specie transfers).
- Leasehold property management including leases, licences, surrenders, assignments, subletting, and other management requirements.
- Borrowing against and securing charges over pension property.
- Property litigation support
For further information or to discuss a matter, please contact the team.