Solicitor Apprenticeships at Parker Bullen

We understand that you may be interested in a career in the law, but do not have the opportunity or inclination to study at University.

That is why we are pleased to be able to offer you a more flexible, hands on route into the legal field through the new Solicitor Apprenticeship.

What is a Solicitor Apprenticeship?

A Solicitor Apprenticeship allows you to earn your chosen qualification while working.  You will be expected to spend approximately 20% of your working week studying through our chosen provider, while the other 80% of your week will be spent working within one of our departments, receiving real-life experience of legal matters.

By completing an apprenticeship, you will learn the theory necessary to pursue a career in the law, building up your commercial awareness and practical involvement working within a law firm, being able to access advice and mentorship from skilled Partners, Solicitors and other areas from within the firm.

Who can apply for a Solicitor Apprenticeship?

The Solicitor Apprenticeship we offer is for those who have completed the Level 3 CILEX Paralegal Apprenticeship, which we also offer, or are graduates with a law degree who would prefer apprenticeships over a training contract.

What are the stages for a Solicitor Apprenticeship?

The Solicitor Apprenticeship is spread over a three year period, following on from the Paralegal Apprenticeship.

The topics included over that time period include:

  1. Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours for a future in the law, focusing on areas including Common Law, Public and Criminal Law and Business.

Within this module, you will also learn a variety of Skills and Behaviours, including:

  • Maintaining professional relationships
  • Working within the limits of your competence
  • Resilience
  • Networking
  • Time management
  • Written and Verbal communication skills
  • Negotiation
  • Basic drafting
  1. Preparation for taking the SQE 1 qualification, which includes Equity & Trusts, Criminal Litigation & Evidence, Civil Dispute Resolution, Wills & Succession and Business 2.

Under the SQE 1 preparation, you would also develop the following Skills & Behaviours:

  • Questioning and listening techniques
  • Acting honestly and with integrity
  • Respecting diversity and working sensitively
  • Delegation and supervision
  • Client Interviewing
  • Advocacy
  • Legal Drafting
  1. Completing the SQE 1 and the SQE 2.

What work experience will I receive as part of the Solicitor Apprenticeship?

As part of the Solicitor Apprenticeship, you would work within a department at Parker Bullen four days a week, with one day out a week for studying.  This allows you to not only learn the theory but put your knowledge into practice, applying your skills and understanding the day to day operations of a law firm.

It is likely that you will be liaising directly with our clients and other third parties who we come into contact with, drafting legal documents, researching different areas of law, preparing and attending Court hearings, and being involved in the marketing and business development initiatives of the firm.

Why choose Parker Bullen for a Solicitor Apprenticeship?

Over the last few years, we have taken great strides in how we support our employees, both professionally and personally.  We have invested in technology to ensure we can offer our clients a smooth and seamless service, which also maximises our employees’ time.

In 2022, we developed our Employee Benefits Package to include several new offerings relating to discounts, cashback and wellbeing, and trained 15 members of our staff as Mental Health First Aiders, providing somewhere for our employees to turn should they need support with their mental health.  In conjunction with this, we also understand the importance of having a work-life balance and so offer an agile working scheme.

We are a very social firm, offering many different ways for you to get to know your colleagues, whether that is on activity days, quizzes, team meetings or parties to bring us together as a firm.  We are sociable and we are charitable, working with many local and national charities through fundraising, volunteering and our Charity of the Year scheme.

By coming to us for your apprenticeship, you will be taking an important step in your career with a well-established and recognised firm while joining a close group of people who work collaboratively to bring out the very best of ourselves.

How do I apply for an Apprenticeship?

Applications are currently open until April 2024, with a start date in September 2024.

To apply, use the application form below and send to Debbie Sansome at moc.n1713928276ellub1713928276rekra1713928276p@emo1713928276snas.1713928276eibbe1713928276d1713928276.

Apprenticeship Application Form